Introducing MiniPAK - Hydrogen powered
portable electronic device charger
Mobile devices are becoming more
sophisticated and need more power for longer times in order to remain practical
to consumers. Horizon is combining its consumer product know-how with innovative
fuel cartridge technologies to form a new device named MiniPAK able to charge
a variety of portable electronics for longer durations and at a lower cost than
existing disposable, rechargeable battery alternatives.
"The MiniPAK portable electronic
device charger is designed to meet the needs of users who want more portable
energy in one package, at a lower cost than existing rechargeable battery-based
Introducing the MiniPAK "Personal Power Center", a palm-size universal
portable power charger and power extender for ANY electronic device requiring
up to 3W of power. Devices compatible with the MiniPAK include cellphones, but
also smartphones, gaming devices, GPS handhelds, small lighting devices and
MP3 players. The MiniPAK device integrates a passive air-breathing fuel cell
and a "solid-state" hydrogen storage unit. The MiniPAK DC power output
is 2.5W (5V, 400mA), delivered through standard micro-USB port and a multi-choice
cable. The device is supplied with 1 refillable and ready to use solid state
hydrogen cartridge and a highly innovative home refilling station set to eliminate
past concerns over fuel availability and cartridge replacement infrastructure
can be purchased separately. The MiniPAK is positioned to address gaps in providing
energy "on the go" to power-hungry device users, as well as a low
cost energy storage option for emergency and long duration off-grid power users.
- More available energy than most
existing devices (Wh)
- Cheaper for the amount of storable energy ($/Wh)
- "Hot swappable" energy by simply swapping "empty for full"
cartridges on the go
- No wall sockets ideal for remote "off-grid" use or international
- Refillable H2 storage!
- Able to carry on-board aircraft cabin - thanks to recent legislation on metal
- Eco-friendly: if disposed, canisters do not contain any mercury, cadmium or
- Sustainable product: product makes use of recycled plastics and green materials
- Ready-to-use device - no need to charge cartridges prior to first-time use
- No self discharge - energy can be stored in solid state for years
- Smaller size for similar weight when compared to best available batteries
- Easy to use (Universal USB for multiple devices), no need for adaptor plugs
- Multiple use - can be used for numerous portable devices, not just cell-phones!
- Infrastructure for the future - HydroFILL "home refuelling station"
can be used for many other fuel cell devices
HydroSTIK refillable solid-state hydrogen cartridges (1 included, order more
The fuel cartridge used in the MiniPAK is called a HydroSTIK. It has a battery-like
form factor and contains a special metal alloy that allows hydrogen to be stored
in a solid-state, as part of the metal alloy matrix inside the cartridge. In
contrast with ordinary compressed hydrogen tanks, the pressure inside the canister
is very low, making this device the safest and most practical means of storing
hydrogen. The HydroSTIK has the additional advantages of being refillable (from
pressurized gas bottles, or from water-electrolysis based devices), non-toxic,
eco-friendly, and competitive on cost/performance with existing battery devices.
Each HydroSTIK can store 15Wh of energy, enough for up to 4 charges of a 3G
smartphone, or up to 6 charges for average cellphones, which is more than what
present primary and rechargeable batteries are able to offer at equivalent cost.
HydroFILL: home hydrogen refueling
unit for HydroSTIK (sold separately)
The HydroFILL is a "world-first" small-scale home hydrogen station
that allows consumers or retailers/distributors to refill solid state canisters
in a simple way, using water and electricity as only input. By adding water,
and plugging the HydroFILL into a electrical wall-socket (or a solar panel),
consumers can generate hydrogen and store it in a solid form automatically in
HydroSTIK cartridges. Once full, the battery-like "solid-state"HydroSTIKs
can be unplugged from the HydroFILL and placed into the MiniPAK (or other fuel
cell devices) to deliver power via a USB port.
Brochure / MiniPAK
FAQ / MiniPAK
User Guide / Hi-res
images I / Hi-res
resolution images (light) / High
resolution image (dark)